- Ashton was a township in Tarvin ancient parish, Eddisbury hundred (SJ
5169), which became a civil parish in 1866.
- The civil parish was renamed Ashton Hayes
- It included the hamlets of Ashton Hayes, Brine's Brow and Woodside.
- The population was 342 in 1801, 430 in 1851, 408 in 1901, and 394 in 1951.
For the period after 2004, see Ashton Hayes.
Churches and Chapels
- Tarvin: St. Andrew (Church of England).
The ancient parish church for the township of Ashton.
- Ashton Hayes: St. John the Evangelist,
Church Road (Church of England). The district church for the township of
Ashton from 1849.
Chapel (Wesleyan, later Primitive). Built in 1845, rebuilt in 1888.
Local Government Districts
- Tarvin Rural Sanitary District (1875-94)
- Tarvin Rural District (1894-1974)
- Chester (1974-2004)
- South Cheshire (1832-67)
- West Cheshire (1868-85)
- Eddisbury (1885-1948)
- Northwich (1949-74)
Petty Sessional Divisions
- Eddisbury (1828-1974)
- Chester (1974-2001)
- Chester, Ellesmere Port & Neston (2001-04)
Poor Law Unions
- Great Boughton (1837-71)
- Tarvin (1871-1930)
- Great Boughton (1837-69)
- Chester (1870-1937)
- West Cheshire (1937-74)
- Chester & Ellesmere Port (1974-98)
- Cheshire West (1998-2004)
© Copyright and Database Right 1996-2012