Bramhall was a township in Stockport ancient parish, Macclesfield hundred
(SJ 9085), which became a civil parish in 1866. The civil parish was abolished in 1900 to become part of
Hazel Grove and Bramhall. It included the hamlets of Bramhall Green, Bramhall Park, Davenport (until 1901),
Kitts Moss, Pownall Green and Woods Moor (until 1901).
The population was 1033 in 1801, 1508 in 1851, and 2570 in 1901.
For the period after 1900, see Hazel Grove and Bramhall. Boundary Changes
1883 March 25 — Lost a detached part to
(16 acres, pop. 0 in 1891) 1900 September 30 — Abolished and incorporated into
Hazel Grove and Bramhall
(pop. 4645 in 1901) Churches and Chapels
Stockport: St. Mary the Virgin ( Church of England). The ancient
parish church for the township of Bramhall.
Stockport: St. Thomas ( Church of England). The
district church for Bramhall from 1839.
Bramhall: St. Michael & All Angels ( Church of England). Built in 1890 as a chapel to Stockport: St Thomas, bcoming the
for part of Bramhall in 1911.
Stockport: St. George ( Church of England).
A district church for part of Bramhall from 1897.
Bramhall: St. Vincent de
Paul ( Roman Catholic). Opened in 1978.
Bramhall, Baptist Chapel. The first chapel was built in 1856 at
Woodford Road by the Baptist Union. It was replaced by a new building on the
same site in 1993. Registers
start in 1866. Registers of burials 1894-2000 and monumental inscriptions have been published by
North Cheshire Family History Society.
Bramhall, Christian Bethel Church (Free Gospel). Built in 1866.
Bramhall, Methodist Chapel (Wesleyan), Bramhall Lane South. Built in
Bramhall, United Reformed Church (Independent/Congregational). Built
in 1902. Local Government Districts
Stockport Rural Sanitary District (1875-94)
Stockport Rural District (1894-1900)
North Cheshire (1832-67)
East Cheshire (1868-85)
Petty Sessional Divisions
Stockport (County) (1828-1900)
Poor Law Unions
© Copyright and Database Right 1996-2012
Brett Langston, mail to : genuki at ukbmd dot org dot uk