BRERETON CUM SMETHWICK
- Brereton cum Smethwick was a township in Brereton ancient parish,
Northwich hundred (SJ 7864), which became a civil parish in 1866
- The civil parish was abolished in 1936, and incorporated into Brereton.
- It included the hamlets of Bagmere, Brindley Green, Brownedge, Hazelshawe, Illidge
Green, Medhurst Green, Sandlow Green and Smethwick.
- The population was 556 in 1801, 649 in 1851, 552 in 1901, and 613 in 1951.
For the period after 1936, see Brereton.
- 1936 April 1 — Abolished and incorporated into Brereton
(4599 acres, pop. 469 in 1931)
Churches and Chapels
- Brereton cum Smethwick: St. Oswald (Church of England).
The ancient parish church
for the township of Brereton cum Smethwick.
- Brereton, Methodist Chapel (Primitive). Built in 1882, closed ca.1923.
Local Government Districts
- Congleton Rural Sanitary District (1875-94)
- Congleton Rural District (1894-1936)
- South Cheshire (1832-67)
- Mid Cheshire (1868-85)
- Knutsford (1885-1936)
Petty Sessional Divisions
- Northwich (1828-1907)
- Sandbach (1907-36)
Poor Law Unions
© Copyright and Database Right 1996-2014