- Brinnington was a township in Stockport ancient parish, Macclesfield
hundred (SJ 9192), which became a civil parish in 1866.
- The civil parish was abolished in 1902 and incorporated into
Bredbury, with the greater part of its area having
been added to
Stockport in 1901.
- It includes the hamlets of May Croft and Portwood
- The population was 890 in 1801, 5203 in 1851, and 98 in 1901.
For the period after 1902, see
- 1894 — Lost part of the Portwood area to Stockport
(pop. 6528 in 1901)
- 1901 November 9 — Lost the rest of the Portwood part to
Stockport (pop. 1197 in 1911)
- 1902 September 30 — Abolished and incorporated into
Bredbury (pop. 82 in 1911)
Churches and Chapels
See also Stockport.
Local Government Districts
- Stockport Municipal Borough (partly, 1835-89) *
- Stockport Urban Sanitary District (partly, 1875-94) *
- Stockport Rural Sanitary District (partly, 1875-94)
- Stockport County Borough (partly, 1889-94) *
- Stockport Rural District (1894-1902)
* The part in Stockport Municipal Borough (1835-89), Stockport County Borough
(1889-94) and Stockport Urban Sanitary District (1875-89) was added to the civil
parish of Stockport in 1894.
- North Cheshire (1832-67)
- East Cheshire (1868-85)
- Hyde (1885-1902)
Petty Sessional Divisions
- Stockport (County) (wholly, 1828-35 and 1894-1902 ; partly, 1835-94) *
- Stockport (Borough) (partly, 1835-94) *
* The part in Stockport (Borough) (1835-94) was added to the civil parish of
Stockport in 1894.
Poor Law Unions
© Copyright and Database Right 1996-2014