- Butley was a township in Prestbury ancient parish, Macclesfield hundred (SJ
9177), which became a civil parish in 1866.
- The civil parish was abolished in 1936 to become parts of Prestbury
and Bollington (near Macclesfield).
- It included the hamlet of Butley Town.
- The population was 516 in 1801, 709 in 1851, and 471 in 1901.
For the period after 1936, see Bollington (near Macclesfield)
Churches and Chapels
- Prestbury: St. Peter (Church of England). The ancient
parish church for the township of Butley.
- Butley, Methodist Chapel (Wesleyan).
Local Government Districts
- Macclesfield Rural Sanitary District (1875-94)
- Macclesfield Rural District (1894-1936)
- North Cheshire (1832-67)
- East Cheshire (1868-85)
- Knutsford (1885-1936)
Petty Sessional Divisions
Poor Law Unions
© Copyright and Database Right 1996-2012