The south transept of Chester: Cathedral served as the ancient parish church of St. Oswald, which originally served the townships of Bache, Croughton, Great Boughton, Iddinshall, Newton by Chester and Wervin, and parts of Blacon cum Crabwall, Upton by Chester, and the City of Chester. It also included the ancient parochial chapelry of Bruera: St. Mary.
The district was affected by the following boundary changes:
On 28 November 1967 the district was amalgamated with that of Chester: Little St. John, to form the combined district of "St. Oswald with Little St. John". In January 1973 this became part of a unified district for the city of Chester.
C = Christenings (Baptisms) ; M = Marriages ; B = Burials ; BTs = Bishop's Transcripts
|Original Registers||C 1581–1884 ; M 1581–1880 ; B 1581–1854— Cheshire Record Office (P 29)
C from 1881 ; M from 1881 — see Chester: St. Thomas of Canterbury
|Microfilm Copies||C 1581–1884 ; M 1581–1880 ; B 1581–1854 — Cheshire Record Office, Manchester Archives & Local Studies, Family History Society of Cheshire, Ellesmere Port Library|
|Bishop's Transcripts||1603–05, 1608–10, 1613–14, 1616–18, 1622–25, 1636–41, 1666–67, 1669–77, 1679–85, 1690, 1693–1716, 1718–31, 1733–81, 1783–1838 (microfilmed) — Cheshire Record Office|
|Copies and Indexes||CB 1581–1628 ; M 1634–1700 — Society of Genealogists' Library
M 1581–1700 — published in: 'The Marriage Registers of St. Oswald, Chester ', Cheshire Sheaf, series 3, vols. 2–3 (1898–1901)
M 1581–1700 — North & East Cheshire Marriage Index
M 1610–1837 (incomplete) — Bertram Merrell Marriage Index of Cheshire
M 1837–1880 — Cheshire BMD (CW:CE15)
|Monumental Inscriptions||Cheshire Record Office|
|Explanatory Notes||Index of Churches|
© Copyright and Database Right 1996-2012