GENUKI Home Page
County Home Page Cheshire   GENUKI Contents Contents   Towns and Parishes Index Cheshire Churches
 

CONGLETON: St. Stephen (Church of England)

Brook Street.

Church History

Built in 1845 as the district church for part of the township of Congleton (previously served by Congleton: St. Peter and Astbury: St. Mary). The boundaries of "The District of Saint Stephen's, Congleton" were described in the London Gazette on 1 August 1845:

"All that part of the township of Congleton, in the parish of Astbury, and in the county and diocese of Chester, situate on the north eastern side of an imaginary line commencing at a point (marked a on the map or plan herewith) on the southern bank of the river Dane, opposite to the middle of Kinsey-street, and thence extending southward along the middle of such street to a point (marked b as aforesaid) opposite to the middle of Lawton-street, and thence eastward along the middle of such last-mentioned street to a point (marked c as aforesaid) opposite to the middle of the street or lane called Colehill-bank, and thence southward along the middle of such street or lane as far as the middle of Canal-street, and thence towards the south east along the middle of such last-mentioned street as far as the middle of the Macclesfield Canal, and on the north western side of an imaginary line extending along the middle of such canal."

Church Records

C = Christenings (Baptisms) ; M = Marriages ; B = Burials ; BTs = Bishop's Transcripts

Original Registers C 1844-1962 ; M 1860-1982 ; B 1860-1968 Cheshire Record Office (P 232)
C from 1962 ; M from 1982 ; B from 1969 Church
Microfilm Copies C 1844-1860, 1896-1936 ; M 1850-1958 ; B 1860-1932 Cheshire Record Office ; Congleton Library
Copies and Indexes M 1860-2008 Cheshire BMD (CE:1028)

Explanatory Notes Index of Churches

© Copyright and Database Right 1996-2014

Hosted by UKBMD - Births, Marriages, Deaths & Censuses on the Internet