GENUKI Home Page
County Home Page Cheshire   GENUKI Contents Contents   Towns and Parishes Index Cheshire Churches
 

HALTON: St. Mary the Virgin (Church of England)

Castle Road Click for photo of church

Church History

Founded in 1732 as a chapelry in the parish of Runcorn: All Saints, serving the townships of Clifton, Halton, Norton and Stockham, which became a district church. In 1860. The boundaries of "The District Chapelry of Halton" were described in the London Gazette on 16 May 1860:

"All those portions of the parish of Runcorn, in the county and diocese of Chester, which are comprised within the townships of Clifton, Norton, and Stockham. And also all that portion of the township of Halton, in the same parish, which is not included within the particular district of the Holy Trinity, Runcorn."

The district was affected by the following boundary changes:

In 1973 the district was amalgamated with Runcorn: Holy Trinity and Grange: St. Andrew to create the combined district of "East Runcorn with Halton".

The district also included the subsidiary churches of Castlefields: Christ ChurchNorton: St. Bertoline & St. Christopher, and Hallwood: St. Mark.

Church Records

C = Christenings (Baptisms) ; M = Marriages ; B = Burials ; BTs = Bishop's Transcripts

Original Registers C 17321986 ; M 17331749, 18602006 Cheshire Record Office (P 27)
C from 1986 ; M from 2006 Church
Microfilm Copies C 17321940 ; M 17331749, 18601936 Cheshire Record Office ; Manchester Archives & Local Studies ; Family History Society of Cheshire
C 17321940 ; M 17331749, 18601957 Halton Lea Library
Bishop's Transcripts 173239, 17411841, 184345, 185187 (microfilmed) Cheshire Record Office
Copies and Indexes M 18601951 Cheshire BMD (HA:C15)
Notes M 17381746 omitted from registers
M 17591860 see Runcorn: All Saints
B none

Explanatory Notes Index of Churches

Copyright and Database Right 1996-2014

Hosted by UKBMD - Births, Marriages, Deaths & Censuses on the Internet