GENUKI Home Page
County Home Page Cheshire   GENUKI Contents Contents   Towns and Parishes Index Cheshire Churches
 

HYDE: St. George (Church of England)

Church Street/Great Norbury Street.

Church History

Founded in 1832 as a chapel to Stockport: St. Mary the Virgin, becoming the district church for the township of Hyde in 1843. The boundaries of "The Chapelry District of Saint George, Hyde" were described in the London Gazette on 10 January 1843:

"The chapelry district of Saint George, Hyde, is to consist of the township of Hyde, being bounded on or towards the north and east by the parish of Mottram in Longdendale; on the south by the township of Werneth, in the parish of Stockport; and on the west by the river Mersey, which divides it from the parish of Manchester"

The district was affected by the following boundary changes:

Church Records

C = Christenings (Baptisms) ; M = Marriages ; B = Burials ; BTs = Bishop's Transcripts

Original Registers C 18321971 ; M 18391983 ; B 18321973 Cheshire Record Office (P 60)
C from 1971 ; M from 1983 Church
Microfilm Copies C 18321922 ; M 18391940 ; B 18321973 Cheshire Record Office ; Tameside Local Studies
C 18321892 ; M 18391900 ; B 18321899 Manchester Archives & Local Studies
C 18321909 ; M 18371940 ; B 18321899 Family History Society of Cheshire
Copies and Indexes M 18391983 Cheshire BMD (TA:CE28)
Monumental Inscriptions Transcript by the North Cheshire Family History Society Cheshire Record Office ; Stockport Heritage Library

Explanatory Notes Index of Churches

Copyright and Database Right 1996-2014

Hosted by UKBMD - Births, Marriages, Deaths & Censuses on the Internet