- Clifton (also known as Rocksavage) was a township in Runcorn
ancient parish, Bucklow hundred (SJ 5279), which became a civil parish in 1866.
- In 1936 the civil parish was abolished to become part of Sutton (near Runcorn).
- It includes the hamlets of Beechwood, Clifton, Palace Fields (south) and Southgate
- The population was 28 in 1801, 30 in 1851, and 213 in 1901.
For the period after 1936, see Sutton (near Runcorn)
Churches and Chapels
- Runcorn: All Saints (Church
of England). The ancient parish church for the township of Clifton.
- Halton: St. Mary the Virgin (Church of England). Founded
in 1732 as a chapel to Runcorn: All Saints, and the district church for
Clifton from 1860.
- Clifton, Methodist Chapel (Primitive). Built in 1882, closed in 1975.
Registers of baptisms 1936-1969 are at the Cheshire Record Office.
Local Government Districts
- Runcorn Rural Sanitary District (1875-94)
- Runcorn Rural District (1894-1936)
- North Cheshire (1832-67)
- Mid Cheshire (1868-85)
- Northwich (1885-1936)
Petty Sessional Divisions
- Bucklow (1828-39)
- Daresbury (1839-67)
- Runcorn (1867-1936)
Poor Law Unions
© Copyright and Database Right 1996-2012