- Cotton was a township in Church Hulme chapelry of Sandbach ancient parish, Northwich hundred (SJ 7467), which became a civil parish in 1866.
- In 1936 the civil parish was abolished to become part of Cranage.
This area subsequently became part of the civil parish of
Holmes Chapel in 1982.
- The population was 77 in 1801, 92 in 1851, and 21 in 1901.
For the period after 1936, see Cranage
- 1936 April 1 — Abolished and incorporated into Cranage
(375 acres, pop. 33 in 1931)
Churches and Chapels
- Sandbach: St. Mary (Church of England). The ancient parish
church for the township of Cotton.
- Church Hulme: St. Luke (Church of England). An ancient
chapel to Sandbach: St. Mary, and the district church for the township of
Cotton from 1733.
Local Government Districts
- Congleton Rural Sanitary District (1875-94)
- Congleton Rural District (1894-1936)
- South Cheshire (1832-67)
- Mid Cheshire (1868-85)
- Knutsford (1885-1936)
Petty Sessional Divisions
- Northwich (1828-99)
- Middlewich & Sandbach (1899-1907)
- Middlewich (1907-36)
Poor Law Unions
© Copyright and Database Right 1996-2014