- Gayton was a township in Heswall ancient parish, Wirral hundred (SJ
2780), which became a civil parish in 1866.
- Since 1974 it has been an unparished area in the county of Merseyside.
- It includes the hamlets of Dawstone and Oldfield.
- The population was 100 in 1801, 144 in 1851, 180 in 1901, and 832 in 1951.
Churches and Chapels
- Heswall: St. Peter (Church of England). The ancient parish
church for the township of Gayton.
- Gayton, Methodist Chapel (Wesleyan). Built in 1859, closed in 1891
(replaced by a new building in Heswall).
Local Government Districts
- Wirral Rural Sanitary District (1875-94)
- Wirral Rural District (1894-1933)
- Wirral Urban District (1933-74)
- Wirral Metropolitan Borough [Merseyside] (1974+)
- South Cheshire (1832-67)
- West Cheshire (1868-85)
- Wirral (1885-1974)
Petty Sessional Divisions
Poor Law Unions
- Wirral (1837-1974)
- Birkenhead (1974-98)
- Wirral (1998+)
© Copyright and Database Right 1996-2014