- Great Stanney was a township in Stoak ancient parish, Wirral hundred
(SJ 4173), which became a civil parish in 1866.
- The civil parish was abolished in 1950 to become part of
- It included the hamlets of Stanney Grange and Wolverham.
- The population of Great Stanney was 12 in 1801, 56 in 1851, and 58 in 1901.
For the period after 1950, see
- 1911 April 1 — Gained the whole of
Stanlow (pop. 31 in 1911)
1950 April 1 — Abolished and incorporated into
Ellesmere Port (1251 acres, pop. 644 in 1931)
Churches and Chapels
- Stoak: St. Lawrence (Church of England). The ancient parish
church for the township of Great Stanney.
- Ellesmere Port: Christ Church (Church of England).
The district church for Great Stanney from 1967.
- Wolverham, Methodist Chapel. Founded in 1954, closed in 1962.
Local Government Districts
- Chester Rural Sanitary District (1875-94)
- Chester Rural District (1894-1910)
- Ellesmere Port & Whitby Urban District (1910-33)
- Ellesmere Port Urban District (1933-50)
- South Cheshire (1832-67)
- West Cheshire (1868-85)
- Eddisbury (1885-1915)
- Wirral (1918-50)
Petty Sessional Divisions
- Wirral (1828-71)
- Chester Castle (1871-1950)
Poor Law Unions
- Great Boughton (1837-71)
- Chester (1871-1930)
- Great Boughton (1837-69)
- Chester (1870-1937)
- West Cheshire (1937-50)
© Copyright and Database Right 1996-2012