HAZEL GROVE AND BRAMHALL
Hazel Grove and Bramhall was a civil parish created in 1900 by the union
of Bosden, Bramhall,
Norbury, Offerton and
Torkington. Since 1974 it has been an unparished area in the county of
Greater Manchester. The population was 9791 in 1901, and 19674 in 1951.
For the period before 1900, see Bosden,
Offerton and Torkington.
1900 September 30 — Created from the whole of
(pop. 2570 in 1901), Bramhall (pop. 4645 in 1901),
Norbury (pop. 1679 in 1901),
Offerton (pop. 558 in 1901),
Torkington (pop. 339 in 1901) 1901 November 9 — Lost part to
4169 in 1911) 1935 April 1 — Lost part to
Stockport (904 acres,
pop. 872 in 1931) 1936 April 1 — Lost part to
Marple (15 acres, pop.
51 in 1931) 1939 April 1 — Gained the whole of
acres, pop. 801 in 1931) Churches and Chapels
Stockport, St. Mary and
Cheadle, St. Mary ( Church of England) were
the ancient parish churches for Hazel Grove.
High Lane, St. Thomas ( Church of England).
The district church for part of Hazel Grove from 1860.
Norbury, St. Thomas ( Church of England).
The district church for most of Hazel Grove from 1878.
Hazel Grove: St. Peter
( Roman Catholic). Opened in 1897.
Hazel Grove (Bullock Smithy), Methodist Chapel (Wesleyan). Founded
in 1788. Registers 1794-1837 are at the Cheshire Record Office.
Hazel Grove, Methodist Chapel (Primitive). Built in 1849 in Commercial
Lane, rebuilt in 1896 in London Road.
Hazel Grove, Methodist Chapel (Free). Built in 1856, rebuilt in 1877.
Hazel Grove, Methodist Chapel (Wesleyan). Built in 1885.
Hazel Grove, United Reformed Church (Congregational/Independent). Built
in 1827, sometimes listed as Ebenezer Chapel. Registers 1829-1956 are
at the Cheshire Record Office.
See also Bosden, Bramhall,
Torkington and Woodford.
Local Government Districts
Hazel Grove & Bramhall Urban District (1900-74)
Stockport Metropolitan Borough [
Greater Manchester] (1974+) Electoral Districts
Hyde (partly, 1900-15) *
Altrincham (partly, 1900-15) **
Hazel Grove (1971-74)
* The former civil parishes of Bosden, Offerton and Torkington remained in
the Hyde division until 1915.
** The former civil parishes of Bramhall and Norbury remained part of the Altrincham
division until 1915. Petty Sessional Divisions
Stockport (County) (1900-1974)
Poor Law Unions
North East Cheshire (1937-74)
© Copyright and Database Right 1996-2012
Brett Langston, mail to : genuki at ukbmd dot org dot uk