- Hyde was a township in Stockport ancient parish, Macclesfield hundred (SJ
9694), which became a civil parish in 1866.
- Since 1974 it has been an unparished area in the county of Greater
- It includes the hamlets of Backbower, Gee Cross, Haughton and Kingston.
- The population was 1063 in 1801, 11569 in 1851, 23668 in 1901, and 31494 in
- 1894 September 30 — Gained part of Werneth
(pop. 1773 in 1901)
- 1923 October 1 — Gained the whole of Godley (645
acres, pop. 1735 in 1921) and
Newton (near Hyde)(869 acres, pop. 7715 in
- 1936 April 1 — Gained parts of Compstall (120
acres, pop. 61 in 1931), Dukinfield (less than 1
acre, pop. 17 in 1931), Hattersley (722 acres, pop.
99 in 1931) and Matley (307 acres, pop. 97 in
1931), and lost parts to Bredbury
& Romiley (24 acres, pop. 20 in 1931) and Dukinfield
(16 acres, pop. 16 in 1931)
Churches and Chapels
- Stockport: St. Mary the Virgin (Church of England). The ancient
parish church for the township of Hyde.
- Hyde: St. George (Church of England). Built
in 1832 as a chapel to Stockport: St. Mary, becoming the district church for
Hyde in 1843.
- Hyde: St. Thomas (Church of England).
The district church for part of Hyde from 1846.
- Godley cum Newton Green: St. John the Baptist (Church of England).
The district church for Godley from 1847.
- Gee Cross: Holy Trinity (Church of England). Built in 1874 as a chapel
to St. George, and the district church for part of Hyde from 1880.
- Newton Flowery Field: St. Stephen
(Church of England). The district church for part of Hyde from 1891.
- Hyde: St. Paul (Roman Catholic). Founded
- Hyde, Friends' Meeting House (Quaker), Chapel Street. Built in 1873.
- Hyde, Baptist Union Chapel, Chapel Street/Union Street. Built in 1869.
- Hyde, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (Mormon), Reginald
- Hyde, Methodist Chapel (Primitive), Hoviley Brow. Built in 1813. Registers
of baptisms 1848-1934 and marriages 1909-1953 are at Manchester Central Library.
- Hyde, Methodist Chapel (Wesleyan), New Street. Founded in 1823. Registers
1820-1837 are at the Cheshire Record Office.
- Hyde, Methodist Chapel (Wesleyan), Norfolk Street. Built in 1850.
- Hyde, Methodist Chapel (New Connexion), George Street. Built in 1858.
- Gee Cross, Methodist Chapel, Joel Lane (Primitive). Registers of marriages
1910-1969 are at the Cheshire Record Office.
- Hyde, Spiritualist Church, George Street.
- Gee Cross, Unitarian Chapel. Founded in 1708, Built in 1846.
- Hyde, Unitarian Chapel. Built in 1878. Later undenominational.
- Hyde, United Reformed Church (Independent/Congregational), Union Street.
Founded in 1814, Built in 1822, rebuilt in 1843. Registers 1822-1837 are at the Cheshire
- Hyde, United Reformed (Zion) Church (Independent/Congregational), Stockport
Road. Built in 1847.
For churches and chapels in the areas added in 1894, 1923 and 1936, see also Compstall,
Dukinfield, Godley, Hattersley, Matley,
Newton (near Hyde) and Werneth.
Local Government Districts
- Hyde Urban Sanitary District (1875-81)
- Hyde Municipal Borough (1881-1974)
- Tameside Metropolitan Borough [Greater Manchester] (1974+)
- Hyde Cemetery. Opened in 1894 (24 acres)
- North Cheshire (1832-67)
- Hyde (1867-85)
- Stalybridge & Hyde (1885-1974)
Petty Sessional Divisions
- Stockport (County) (1828-48)
- Hyde (County) (1848-93)
- Hyde (Borough) (1893-1971)
- North East Cheshire (1971-74)
- South Tameside (1974+)
Poor Law Unions
- Stockport (1837-1937)
- Hyde (1937-74)
- Tameside (1974+)
© Copyright and Database Right 1996-2012