Marple was a township and chapelry in Stockport ancient parish, Macclesfield
hundred (SJ 9688), which became a civil parish in 1866.
Since 1974 it has been an unparished area in the county of Greater
It includes the hamlets of Barns Fold, Hawk Green, High Lane (part), Marpleridge,
Middlewood, Ridge End, Strines, Turf Lea and Windlehurst
The population was 2031 in 1801, 3558 in 1851, 5505 in 1901, and 13073 in
1936 April 1 — Gained part of Bredbury (20
acres, pop. 10 in 1931), part of Hazel Grove and Bramhall
(15 acres, pop. 51 in 1931), the whole of Ludworth, Derbyshire (1646
acres, pop. 1926 in 1931), the whole of Mellor, Derbyshire (2362 acres,
pop. 1712 in 1931), part of Romiley (31 acres, pop.
0 in 1931) and part of Stockport (1 acre, pop. 0
in 1931), and lost part to
Bredbury & Romiley (less than 1
acre, pop. 0 in 1931)
Marple, Methodist Chapel (Wesleyan). Founded in 1803, rebuilt in 1876.
Registers 1804-1840 are at the Cheshire Record Office.
Marple, Methodist Church (Primitive), Market Street. Founded in 1832,
rebuilt in 1876. Registers of baptisms 1832-1862 are at Manchester Central Library.
Marple, Methodist Church (Primitive). Built in 1892, rebuilt in 1869.
Marple Bridge, United Reformed Church (Independent/Congregational).
Founded in 1662 at Mill Brow. Microfilms of registers 1761-1840 are at the Cheshire
Record Office and Derbyshire Record Office, with some later records other than
registers at Derbyshire Record Office.