MORETON (near Wallasey)
- Moreton (formerly Moreton cum Lingham) was a township in Bidston
ancient parish, Wirral hundred (SJ 2690), which became a civil parish in 1866.
- The civil parish was abolished in 1928 to become part of Wallasey.
- Included the hamlets of Leasowe and Lingham.
- The population was 210 in 1801, 350 in 1851, and 597 in 1901.
For the period after 1928, see Wallasey.
Churches and Chapels
- Bidston: St. Oswald (Church of England). The ancient parish
church for the township of Moreton.
- Moreton: Christ Church (Church of England).
The district church for Moreton from 1864.
- Great Meols: St. John the Baptist (Church of England).
The district church for part of Moreton from 1937.
- Leasowe: St. Chad (Church of England).
The district church for part of Moreton from 1957.
- Moreton, Sacred Heart (Roman Catholic), The Cross. Founded in 1923.
- Moreton, Our Lady of Lourdes (Roman Catholic), Leasowe Road. Founded in 1957.
Local Government Districts
- Wirral Rural Sanitary District (1875-94)
- Wirral Rural District (1894-1928)
- South Cheshire (1832-67)
- West Cheshire (1868-85)
- Wirral (1885-1928)
Petty Sessional Divisions
Poor Law Unions
© Copyright and Database Right 1996-2012