Partington was a township in Bowdon ancient parish, Bucklow hundred
(SJ 7191), which became a civil parish in 1866.
Since 1974 it has been part of the county of Greater Manchester.
The population was 358 in 1801, 485 in 1851, 587 in 1901, and 957 in 1951.
1920 April 1 — Gained part of Irlam, Lancashire (33 acres, pop. 0
in 1921), and lost parts to Irlam, Lancashire (70 acres, pop. 0 in
1921) and Rixton with Glazebrook, Lancashire (6 acres, pop. 0 in 1921),
when the boundary with the county of Lancashire was altered to follow the
course of the Manchester Ship Canal
Churches and Chapels
Bowdon: St. Mary (Church of England). The ancient parish church
for the township of Partington.
Carrington: St. George (Church of England). A chapelry
in Bowdon parish from 1759, serving the township of Partington.