- Prenton was a township in Woodchurch ancient parish, Wirral hundred
(SJ 3086), which became a civil parish in 1866.
- In 1933 the civil parish was abolished to become part of Birkenhead.
- The population was 81 in 1801, 99 in 1851, and 412 in 1901.
For the period after 1933, see Birkenhead.
- 1933 April 1 — Abolished and incorporated into Birkenhead
(640 acres, pop. 2032 in 1931)
Churches and Chapels
Woodchurch: Holy Cross (Church of England). The ancient
parish church for the township of Prenton.
- Prenton: St. Stephen (Church
of England). Founded in 1894 as
a chapel to Woodchurch: Holy Cross, becoming the district church for part of
Prenton in 1902.
- Prenton and parts of
Oxton and Tranmere in 1902.
Registers of Baptisms 1894-1954 and Marriages 1902-1957 have been deposited at
the Cheshire Record Office (no
- Prenton: St. Alban (Church
of England). A chapel to
St. Stephen, founded by 1969.
- Prenton, United Reformed Church (Independent/Congregational), Storeton
Road. Built in 1909.
Local Government Districts
- Wirral Rural Sanitary District (1875-94)
- Wirral Rural District (1894-1928)
- Birkenhead County Borough (1928-1933)
- South Cheshire (1832-67)
- West Cheshire (1868-85)
- Wirral (1885-1933)
Petty Sessional Divisions
- Wirral (1828-1928)
- Birkenhead (Borough) (1928-33)
Poor Law Unions
© Copyright and Database Right 1996-2014