UPTON BY BIRKENHEAD
- Upton by Birkenhead was a township and parish in Wirral hundred (SJ
2688), which became a civil parish in 1866.
- The civil parish was abolished in 1933 to become parts of
- Included the hamlet of Overchurch.
- The population was 141 in 1801, 227 in 1851, and 788 in 1901.
For the period after 1933, see
- 1933 April 1 — Abolished and divided between
Birkenhead (856 acres, pop. 2547 in 1931) and
Wallasey (87 acres, pop. 17 in 1931)
Churches and Chapels
- Upton: St. Mary, Overchurch (Church of England).
The ancient parish church for the township of Upton by Birkenhead.
- Upton: St. Joseph (Roman Catholic). Founded
- Upton, Presbyterian Church, Ford Road. Built in 1898.
Local Government Districts
- Wirral Rural Sanitary District (1875-94)
- Wirral Rural District (1894-1933)
- South Cheshire (1832-67)
- West Cheshire (1868-85)
- Wirral (1885-1933)
Petty Sessional Divisions
Poor Law Unions
© Copyright and Database Right 1996-2012