UK BMD Home Page
List of Districts List of Districts

ROSS REGISTRATION DISTRICT

Table 1A: List of Places in Ross Registration District (1837-1974)

All the areas in Ross registration district became part of the county of Hereford & Worcester on 1.4.1974.

Civil Parish

County

From

To

Comments

Aston Ingham

Herefordshire

1896

1974

See Table 2, notes (j) and (s).

Ballingham

Herefordshire

1837

1974

Brampton Abbotts

Herefordshire

1837

1974

Bridstow

Herefordshire

1837

1974

Brockhampton

Herefordshire

1837

1974

See Table 2, note (b).

Foy

Herefordshire

1837

1974

Ganarew

Herefordshire

1935

1974

See Table 2, note (k).

Garway

Herefordshire

1935

1974

See Table 2, note (k).

Goodrich

Herefordshire

1837

1974

See Table 2, note (n).

Harewood

Herefordshire

1837

1974

Hentland

Herefordshire

1837

1974

See Table 2, note (a).

Hope Mansell

Herefordshire

1837

1974

See Table 2, notes (o) and (p).

How Caple

Herefordshire

1837

1974

Kings Caple

Herefordshire

1837

1974

Lea

Herefordshire

1883

1974

Created 25.3.1883 out of the parishes of Lea Upper, Lea Lower, and Lea Bailey. See also Table 2, note (q).

Lea Bailey

Gloucestershire

1837

1890

Abolished 24.3.1890 to become parts of the parishes of Lea and Blaisdon. See also Table 2, notes (f) and (i).

Lea Lower

Gloucestershire

1837

1844

Transferred from Gloucestershire to Herefordshire on 20.10.1844. Abolished 25.3.1883 to become part of the parish of Lea.

Herefordshire

1844

1883

Lea Upper

Herefordshire

1837

1883

Abolished 25.3.1883 to become part of the parish of Lea.

Linton

Herefordshire

1896

1974

See Table 2, note (j).

Llandinabo

Herefordshire

1837

1974

Llangarren

Herefordshire

1837

1974

See Table 2, notes (g) and (h).

Llanrothal

Herefordshire

1935

1974

See Table 2, note (k).

Llanwarne

Herefordshire

1837

1974

Marstow

Herefordshire

1837

1974

Pencoyd

Herefordshire

1837

1974

Peterstow

Herefordshire

1837

1974

Ross

Herefordshire

1837

1894

Abolished 1894 to become parts of the parishes of Ross Urban and Ross Rural.

Ross Rural

Herefordshire

1894

1974

Created 1894 from the rural part of the parish of Ross.

Ross Urban

Herefordshire

1894

1974

Created 1894 out of the parishes of Ross and Bridstow.

Ruardean

Gloucestershire

1837

1935

See Table 2, notes (e), (l) and (m).

Sellack

Herefordshire

1837

1974

See Table 2, note (c).

Sollers Hope

Herefordshire

1837

1974

St. Weonards

Herefordshire

1837

1974

Tretire with Michaelchurch

Herefordshire

1837

1974

Upton Bishop

Herefordshire

1837

1974

See Table 2, notes (d) and (t).

Walford

Herefordshire

1837

1974

Welsh Bicknor

Herefordshire

1935

1974

See Table 2, note (k).

Welsh Newton

Herefordshire

1935

1974

See Table 2, note (k).

Weston under Penyard

Herefordshire

1837

1974

See Table 2, note (r).

Whitchurch

Herefordshire

1935

1974

See Table 2, note (k).

Yatton

Herefordshire

1837

1974

Table 1B: List of Places in Ross Registration District (1974-98)

All the areas in Ross registration district became part of the county of Hereford & Worcester on 1.4.1974.

Civil Parish

County

From

To

Comments

Aston Ingham

Hereford & Worcester

1974

1998

 

Ballingham

Hereford & Worcester

1974

1998

 

Brampton Abbotts

Hereford & Worcester

1974

1998

 

Bridstow

Hereford & Worcester

1974

1998

 

Brockhampton

Hereford & Worcester

1974

1998

 

Foy

Hereford & Worcester

1974

1998

 

Ganarew

Hereford & Worcester

1974

1998

 

Garway

Hereford & Worcester

1974

1998

 

Goodrich

Hereford & Worcester

1974

1998

 

Harewood

Hereford & Worcester

1974

1998

 

Hentland

Hereford & Worcester

1974

1998

 

Hope Mansell

Hereford & Worcester

1974

1998

 

How Caple

Hereford & Worcester

1974

1998

 

Kings Caple

Hereford & Worcester

1974

1998

 

Lea

Hereford & Worcester

1974

1998

 

Linton

Hereford & Worcester

1974

1998

 

Llandinabo

Hereford & Worcester

1974

1998

 

Llangarron

Hereford & Worcester

1974

1998

 

Llanrothal

Hereford & Worcester

1974

1998

 

Llanwarne

Hereford & Worcester

1974

1998

 

Marstow

Hereford & Worcester

1974

1998

 

Pencoyd

Hereford & Worcester

1974

1998

 

Peterstow

Hereford & Worcester

1974

1998

 

Ross Rural

Hereford & Worcester

1974

1998

 

Ross on Wye

Hereford & Worcester

1974

1998

 

Sellack

Hereford & Worcester

1974

1998

 

Sollers Hope

Hereford & Worcester

1974

1998

 

St. Weonards

Hereford & Worcester

1974

1998

 

Tretire with Michaelchurch

Hereford & Worcester

1974

1998

 

Upton Bishop

Hereford & Worcester

1974

1998

 

Walford

Hereford & Worcester

1974

1998

 

Welsh Bicknor

Hereford & Worcester

1974

1998

 

Welsh Newton

Hereford & Worcester

1974

1998

 

Weston under Penyard

Hereford & Worcester

1974

1998

 

Whitchurch

Hereford & Worcester

1974

1998

 

Yatton

Hereford & Worcester

1974

1998

 

Table 1C: List of Places in Ross Registration District (1998-2008)

All the areas in Ross registration district became part of the county of Herefordshire on 1.4.1998.

Civil Parish

County

From

To

Comments

Aston Ingham

Herefordshire

1998

2008

See Table 2, note (u).

Ballingham

Herefordshire

1998

2008

See Table 2, note (u).

Brampton Abbotts

Herefordshire

1998

2008

See Table 2, note (u).

Bridstow

Herefordshire

1998

2008

See Table 2, note (u).

Brockhampton

Herefordshire

1998

2008

See Table 2, note (u).

Foy

Herefordshire

1998

2008

See Table 2, note (u).

Ganarew

Herefordshire

1998

2008

See Table 2, note (u).

Garway

Herefordshire

1998

2008

See Table 2, note (u).

Goodrich

Herefordshire

1998

2008

See Table 2, note (u).

Harewood

Herefordshire

1998

2008

See Table 2, note (u).

Hentland

Herefordshire

1998

2008

See Table 2, note (u).

Hope Mansell

Herefordshire

1998

2008

See Table 2, note (u).

How Caple

Herefordshire

1998

2008

See Table 2, note (u).

Kings Caple

Herefordshire

1998

2008

See Table 2, note (u).

Lea

Herefordshire

1998

2008

See Table 2, note (u).

Linton

Herefordshire

1998

2008

See Table 2, note (u).

Llandinabo

Herefordshire

1998

2008

See Table 2, note (u).

Llangarron

Herefordshire

1998

2008

See Table 2, note (u).

Llanrothal

Herefordshire

1998

2008

See Table 2, note (u).

Llanwarne

Herefordshire

1998

2008

See Table 2, note (u).

Marstow

Herefordshire

1998

2008

See Table 2, note (u).

Pencoyd

Herefordshire

1998

2008

See Table 2, note (u).

Peterstow

Herefordshire

1998

2008

See Table 2, note (u).

Ross Rural

Herefordshire

1998

2008

See Table 2, note (u).

Ross on Wye

Herefordshire

1998

2008

See Table 2, note (u).

Sellack

Herefordshire

1998

2008

See Table 2, note (u).

Sollers Hope

Herefordshire

1998

2008

See Table 2, note (u).

St. Weonards

Herefordshire

1998

2008

See Table 2, note (u).

Tretire with Michaelchurch

Herefordshire

1998

2008

See Table 2, note (u).

Upton Bishop

Herefordshire

1998

2008

See Table 2, note (u).

Walford

Herefordshire

1998

2008

See Table 2, note (u).

Welsh Bicknor

Herefordshire

1998

2008

See Table 2, note (u).

Welsh Newton

Herefordshire

1998

2008

See Table 2, note (u).

Weston under Penyard

Herefordshire

1998

2008

See Table 2, note (u).

Whitchurch

Herefordshire

1998

2008

See Table 2, note (u).

Yatton

Herefordshire

1998

2008

See Table 2, note (u).

Table 2: Boundary Changes affecting Ross Registration District

Date of Change

Note

Description of Change

Population transferred

24.3.1883

(a)

Gained part of the parish of Hentland (which until 24.3.1883 formed a detached part of the parish of Little Dewchurch, including Forty Steps) from Hereford registration district.

39 in 1891

24.3.1884

(b)

Gained part of the parish of Brockhampton (which until 24.3.1884 formed a detached part of the parish of Fownhope, including Fawley) from Hereford registration district.

102 in 1891

(c)

Gained part of the parish of Sellack (which until 24.3.1884 formed a detached part of the parish of Fownhope, including Strangford) from Hereford registration district.

9 in 1891

(d)

Gained part of the parish of Upton Bishop (which until 24.3.1884 formed a detached part of the parish of Much Marcle, including Woodcocks) from Ledbury registration district.

7 in 1891

(e)

Gained part of the parish of Ruardean (which until 24.3.1884 formed a detached part of the parish of Newland) from Monmouth registration district.

55 in 1891

(f)

Lost a detached part of the parish of Lea Bailey (which became part of the parish of East Dean on 24.3.1884) to Westbury on Severn registration district.

191 in 1891

25.3.1885

(g)

Lost a detached part of the parish of Llangarren (which became part of the parish of Whitchurch on 25.3.1885) to Monmouth registration district.

52 in 1891

(h)

Gained part of the parish of Llangarren (which until 25.3.1885 formed a detached part of the parish of Whitchurch) from Monmouth registration district.

13 in 1891

24.3.1890

(i)

Lost part of the parish of Lea Bailey (which became part of the parish of Blaisdon on 24.3.1884) to Westbury on Severn registration district.

0 in 1891

1.1.1896

(j)

Gained the parishes of Aston Ingham and Linton from Newent registration district.

1265 in 1891

1.10.1935

(k)

Gained the parishes of Ganarew, Garway, Llanrothal, Welsh Bicknor, Welsh Newton, and Whitchurch, from Monmouth registration district

1732 in 1931

(l)

Lost the parish of Ruardean to Westbury on Severn registration district.

944 in 1931

(m)

Lost part of the parish of Ruardean (which became part of the parish of Lydbrook on 1.4.1935) to Westbury on Severn registration district.

281 in 1931

1.4.1965

(n)

Gained became part of the parish of Goodrich (which until 1.4.1965 formed part of the parish of English Bicknor) from Forest of Dean registration district.

(o)

Lost part of the parish of Hope Mansell (which became part of the parish of Drybrook on 1.4.1965) to Forest of Dean registration district.

(p)

Gained part of the parish of Hope Mansell (which until 1.4.1965 formed part of the parish of Mitcheldean from Forest of Dean registration district.

(q)

Gained part of the parish of Lea (which until 1.4.1965 formed parts of the parishes of Longhope and Mitcheldean) from Forest of Dean registration district.

(r)

Gained part of the parish Weston under Penyard (which until 1.4.1965 formed part of the parish of Mitcheldean) from Forest of Dean registration district.

(s)

Lost part of the parish of Aston Ingham (which became part of the parish of Newent on 1.4.1965) to Gloucester Rural registration district.

(t)

Lost part of the parish of Upton Bishop (which became part of the parish of Kempley on 1.4.1965) to Gloucester Rural registration district.

1.4.2008 (abolished)

(u)

Lost the constituent parishes of Aston Ingham, Ballingham, Brampton Abbotts, Bridstow, Brockhampton, Foy, Ganarew, Garway, Goodrich, Harewood, Hentland, Hope Mansell, How Caple, Kings Caple, Lea, Linton, Llandinabo, Llangarron, Llanrothal, Llanwarne, Marstow, Pencoyd, Peterstow, Ross Rural, Ross on Wye, Sellack, Sollers Hope, St. Weonards, Tretire with Michaelchurch, Upton Bishop, Walford, Welsh Bicknor, Welsh Newton, Weston under Penyard, Whitchurch, and Yatton, to Herefordshire registration district.

 


© Copyright and Database Right 1996-2017

The information on this page may not be reproduced without the consent of the copyright holder.

Hosted by UKBMD - Births, Marriages, Deaths & Censuses on the Internet